History of Revival
- Awstin - Original
reports from the Wales 1904-5 revival.
Howell Harris and the Dawn of Revival, Evangelical Press of Wales. Story of the Methodist revival in 18th century Wales through one of the leaders.
Lewis H. (1989). With
Christ Among the Miners. In "Glory Filled The Land". International
Awakening Press. First-hand account of the 1904-5 revival.
Revival Comes to Wales. Evangelical Press of Wales. Account of the 1859 revival.
The Welsh Revival of 1904. Evangelical Press of Wales.
The most balanced and inspiring account of the revival.
- Evans E. (1985). Daniel Rowland and the Great Evangelical Awakening, Banner of Truth. Story of the Methodist revival in 18th century Wales through one of the leaders.
Favoured with Frequent Revivals: Revivals in Wales 1762-1862.
The Heath Christian Trust, Cardiff.
Voices from the Welsh Revival 1904-1905. Evangelical Press of
An Instrument of Revival: The Complete Life of Evan Roberts,
Bridge Publications. Wales 1904.
R.B. (1950). Rent
Heavens. Republished by Revival Literature, Asherville NC.
First-hand account of the 1904-5 revival.
D. (2004). I
Saw the Welsh Revival. Ambassador Publications. First-hand account of the 1904-5 revival.
- Nuttall G.F. (1987). Howell Harris, 1714-1773: The last enthusiast, Wales U.P. Wales 18th century.
J. (1905). The
Awakening in Wales and Some of its Hidden Springs.
The Revival Library. First-hand account of the 1904-5 revival.
D.M. (1906). Evan
Roberts - the Great Revivalist. Available from welshrevival.org. A very detailed account of the 1904-5 revival. Includes Evan Roberts letters written during the revival.
- Phillips T. (1989) . The Welsh Revival: Its Origin and Development. Banner of Truth.
D.W. (2013). The Welsh Revival of 1904. What happened Next: Lessons from History. Available from Smashwords.
J.A. (1963). Invasion
of Wales by the Spirit. Revival Literature, Asherville NC.
reports of the 1904-5 Welsh revival. At welshrevival.org.
- Timelines of the revival are available from this site. Background to the 1904-5 Welsh revival. First two weeks of the 1904-5 Welsh revival.
- Well Digger. Numerous accounts of revivals in Wales, especially 1904.
George Whitefield (2 volumes), Banner of Truth. 18th century Methodist revival mainly in England. Also Scotland, Wales and
- Dallimore A. (1983). The Life of Edward Irving, Banner of Truth. England and Scotland early-mid 19th century.
- Davey C.J. (1979). The Glory Man. Hodder & Stoughton. Evangelist Billy Bray and Cornish revivals.
A Forgotten Revival. Day One. 1921 Revival in East Anglia.
- Orr J.E. (2000). The Church of England and the 1859 Revival. British Church Growth Association (reprinted).
J.C. (1978). Christian
Leaders of the 18th Century, Banner of Truth. Includes biographies
of George White field, John Wesley, Daniel Rowlands, William
Grimshaw, William Romaine, John Berrige, Henry Venn, James Hervey,
John Fletcher, Samuel Walker, Augustus Toplady.
- Shenton T. (2003). A Cornish Revival: The Life and Times of Samuel Walker of Truro. Evangelical Press.
- Duncan M.G.L. (2012). History of Revivals of Religion in the British Isles, Especially in Scotland. Ulan Press.
(1971). The Cambuslang Revival. Banner of Truth. 18th century revival.
- Lennie T. (2009). Glory in the Glen. Christian Focus. 1880-1940.
A. (1998). Revivals in the Highlands and Islands in the 19th Century. Tentmaker Publications.
- MacMillan JD. (1989). Restoration in the Church: Reports of Revivals 1625-1839. Ambassador. Largely Scotland, some reference to Wales and Ulster.
- Peckham C. & M. (2004). Sounds From Heaven: The Revival on the Isle of Lewis 1949-1952, Christian Focus.
- Robe J. (1985). When the Wind Blows. Ambassador. 18th century revival.
- Scottish Hebrides Revival of 1949-53. > Brief account of the famous Scottish revival.
- Taylor S. (2003).The Skye Revivals. New Wine Press. 1800-1934.
Duncan Campbell, Hodder and Stoughton. The 1949-1952 Hebridean revival.
- Gibson W. (1860). The Year of Grace - 1859 Revival in Ulster. Ambassador.
- Paisley I.K. (1958). The "Fifty Nine" Revival. An Authentic History of the Great Ulster Awakening of 1859. Free Presbyterian Church.
- Bartleman F. (1925). Azusa Street, various editions and publishers.
- Coleman R. & Litfin A.D. (1995). Accounts of a Campus Revival - Wheaton College 1995, Harold Shaw publishers. Revival in a college in the USA.
- Cross W. (1950). The Burned Over District - Harper.
19th century revival in USA.
- Gausted E.S. (1965). The Great Awakening in New England. Peter Smith.
- Murray I.H. (1994). Revival and Revivalism, Banner of Truth. Contains extensive references to the second great awakening.
A Survey of 20th Century Revival Movements in North America,
The Holiness-Pentecostal Tradition,
Eerdmans. History of Pentecostalism
God Sent Revival, Evangelical Press. Story of the second great
awakening (19th century), especially through Nettleton.
- Weisberger (1958). They Gathered at the River , Quadrangle Press. Story of 19th century revivals.
- Asiaharvest.org Accounts
of revivals in China and Nagaland India. Includes current revival
- Bulan S. (2004). The Bario Revival. Home Matters Network.
- Butler B. (1976). Hill Ablaze, Hodder and Stoughton. Revival in Uganda.
From Head-Hunters to Church Planters, Piquant. Revival in Nagaland, India.
- Makower K. (1999). The Coming of the Rain, Paternoster press. Revival in Rwanda.
- Orr J.E. (1975). Evangelical Awakenings in Eastern Asia. Bethany Fellowship.
- Orr J.E. (1976). Evangelical Awakenings in the South Seas. Bethany Fellowship.
- Ward K. (1999). The East African Revival, Fountain Publishers.
- Backholer M. (2007). Revival and the great Commission, ByFaith Media. Documents many recent revivals as well as older ones. Set in the context of an explanation of revival.
- Broadbent E.H. (1931). The Pilgrim Church. Gospel Folio Press. Not strictly about revival but about the believing church throughout the history of Christianity. As such includes many revivals from many countries.
- Shaw M. (2010). Global Awakening: How 20th Century Revivals Triggered a Christian Revolution. IVP. Searches for common themes and contexts in revivals from various countries: Korea, China, India, Nigeria, Uganda, Brazil and the USA.
(1998). Flashpoints of Revival, Revival Press.
Post 1950 Revivals
is much easier to determine the authenticity of a revival movement
as a genuine work of the Holy Spirit after it has ceased and
the controversies have subsided. The following are included as
possible candidates for contemporary revivals, accepting the problems
that some sections of the Christian church have found with them.
Nine O'clock in the Morning. Kingsway Publications. The story of the rise of charismatic renewal from its beginnings in California.
Signs of Revival. Kingsway Publications. A defense of the
phenomena that sometimes occur during revival, especially those
that occurred during the Toronto Blessing.
R.M., Ericson E.E. & Peters C. B. (1972). The Jesus
People. Eerdmans. History of the rise of the Jesus people
of California through the late 1960's.
- Fleming J.S. (2007). Bind Us Together. Thankful Books. History of the restoration churches and their significance.
W. (1999). The Quest for the Radical Middle - A History of the Vineyard.
Vineyard International Publishing.
M.M. (2003). Main Street Mystics - The Toronto Blessing & Reviving Pentecostalism.
- Rabey S. (1999). Revival in Brownsville: Pensacola, Pentecostalism, and the Power of American Revivalism. Thomas Nelson.
R.M. & Riss K. (1997).
Images of Revival. Destiny Image. A defence of the Toronto
Blessing in the light of history.
D. (1994). The Toronto Blessing. Kingsway. A History of the Toronto
Restoring the Kingdom. History of the restoration and "house
church" movement in the UK.
No Well-Worn Paths. Kingsway. Story of the "New Frontiers" New-Church stream.
(Brother) & Hattaway P. (2002).
The Heavenly Man. Monarch. Revival in China.
Theology and Critique of Revival
Can We Pray for Revival? Evangelical Press.
A response to Pentecost Today, below.
Jonathan Edwards on Revival. Banner of Truth. Including:
A Narrative of Surprising Conversions (1736), The Distinguishing
Marks of the Spirit of God (1741) and An Account of the Revival
of Religion in Northampton 1740-1742.
I.H. (1994). Revival and Revivalism. Banner of Truth.
Distinguishes social movements that are man-made from genuine moves of the Holy Spirit and explores the blurred lines between these.
Pentecost Today? Banner of Truth.
J. E. (2000). The Outpouring of
the Spirit in Revival and Awakening and its Issue in Church Growth.
Explores the link between the work of the Holy Spirit and church
growth. Republished by British Church Growth Association and
available here for download in A4 format. By kind permission